Electric Fence Keeps Dogs In Your Yard
Pet owners may encounter problems whenever they move into homes that have large backyards. This can be serious if surrounding this area are other animals, bikers, joggers, runners, walkers, and heavy traffic roads where cars are around. The solution is a building a fenced in area which can be expensive. The SportDog Brand In-Ground Fence system works best because you do not need to build an actual fence. You create a fenced in area using a wired system around your yard for your dog to run or exercise in without going outside this boundary. This works great for pet parents that want to control their playing area.
The product creates a magnetic field around the buried wire so when the dog gets close to it, the collar gives off a signal that shocks him. The shock levels are controlled on the collar which you set to one of four levels. When the dog gets within the parameter you set, the collar will go off and shock the dog according to the shock level set. This should make the dog to move back into the regular boundary playing area on his own.
The system is manufactured to expand the boundary area up to 100 acres. However, to do this, you must purchase additional wire and flag kits. If you should own more than one pet, you must purchase additional SDF-R collars, sold separately, as the system allows for unlimited number of collars.
Levels of Correction
The collar receiver offers up to four levels of static stimulation that will match the dog’s temperament, and tone and vibration options as they near the boundary wire. The boundary training flags are placed 10 feet apart until you are ready to use the system.
Below is a quick video of the SDF100A Fencing System
How It Works
The system works by producing a radio signal from the Fence Transmitter through the Boundary Wire. The Boundary Wire is buried or attached to a fixed object to enclose the dog’s Boundary Area. You temporarily define the Boundary Area with Boundary Flags for a visual aid in training your dog.
Your dog wears a Collar Receiver with Contact Points that touch his neck and, once trained, is allowed to roam freely in the Boundary Area. When your dog reaches the Warning Zone, the Collar Receiver gives a warning beep.
If your dog continues into the Stimulation Zone, a safe stimulation will be delivered through the Contact Points to get his attention until he returns to the safe area. You decide on the level of correction that is right for your dog.
Dog Fence Layout Plan Video
Below is a quick video on how to plan your electronic dog fence layout. Take a look.
The cost of this fencing material may vary due to any discounts being offered at the time of purchase or the products popularity on Amazon.
- Current Price: $259.95
What’s In The Box
- 1,000 feet of 20-guage boundary wire
- 1 Transmitter
- 1 Waterproof Collar/Receiver
- 1 9-Volt Battery (Lasts a minimum of 6 months)
- 100 Training Flags
- Training Manual & DVD
- Weight: 10.4 lbs.
- Model Number: SDF-100A
- Wire break alarm at the transmitter alerts you when there’s a break in the wire
- Low Battery Indicator
Note: You may want to upgrade to a lower gauge wire for best results as most professionals use 14-gauge wire instead of 20-gauge that comes with the base kit package. The battery that comes with the kit is not re-chargeable. You just replace it when the low battery indicator light comes on.
Dog Collar Tips
At the end of the day, when you dog comes inside for the evening, you probably should remove the collar. It will help him sleep better without having the collar on. In the morning, reinstall the collar and you’re set for the rest of the day. Each collar that you add to the system has its own stimulation settings. Each collar is set independently of the others.
As the dog gets closer to the boundary wire, he first will encounter a warning sound. This area is known as the warning zone and no shock will be felt. If he continues to proceed closer to the boundary wire, he will encounter a shock. The shock will remain until he leaves the shock zone area. The warning zone distance is set by the owner. Minimum distance is 4 feet. The shock level the dog receives is also set by the owner on the dogs’ collar.
The base kit comes with 1,000 feet of 20-gauge wire. As you go down to lower gauge wire levels, the wire is thicker and will probably will last longer. Also, they are more expensive. The gauge levels for fencing are 20, 18, 16 & 14. Most owners use a gauge wire that is lower than the 20-gauge that comes with the system because it lasts longer and will not break as easy. The wire that comes with the kit will work fine.
This product is rated above average, 4.5 stars out of 5, by consumers for the following reasons.
- I’ve been using this for 8 + months now. Works great, my dog does occasionally run through the boundary if he’s chasing something but that’s not any fault of this product. What really impresses me is the SportDOG customer service, and the willingness they have to back up their warranty. About 3 weeks ago the receiver collar stopped working and I noticed it had cracked and was falling apart. I contacted them and under the warranty received a free new collar within about 2 weeks. Very good experience!
- We have had two dogs on the system almost a year, and it works great! It was easy to install, and train! SportDOG has incredible customer service as well.
- Amazing fencing system. Easy to install and add more wire. Keeps my dogs in our yard- even when other dogs have come in, my dogs stay on the property. I have a lab who is a runner and he stays within bounds. My brother has the same system for his dogs- so it is great when we visit him we leave the collars on the dogs and they all stay in bounds.
I haven’t had any skin issues with my dogs- but I do check their skin daily and take the collars off at night.
- We have a 6 month old golden retriever and live in a neighborhood that doesn’t allow fences. Item worked like a charm. He was sparked on the lowest level just once and will not go up to the flags at all!!! Great product and no need to hire a special company. Thank you
- To start, I am a hands on person and recommend this to anyone who understands how to trouble shoot and enjoys tinkering around the house. I installed this on one acre two months ago and have not had any issues. It is a bear to dig a trench on a large area so I used a trencher and buried the line 3 inches deep. I’d highly recommend using this method as it ensures that the line is down far enough in each location. It took my wife and I about 4 hours to trench and bury. The controller is in my garage and the line coming up to the garage was probably the most difficult part. Do yourself a favor and do not measure and cut the line from the spool when doing the boundary wire. You will save yourself time and hassle when crossing the lines. I have only had one instance where the line was broken and that was my own fault while digging up pine trees. I broke the wire and the controller did exactly what it was supposed to. It had a high pitch sound to alert me that the loop was broken. To save myself any headaches in the future, I clearly marked where I had to splice the initial install and my fix in the yard. If I ever have an issue, I can simply start with the connections to see if the short is where the splice is. Training was also easy as I put up all of the flags around the yard and walked my dog a handful of times around the property. I did have her get close a couple of times to hear the beep and corrected her as needed. I adjusted the beep / vibrate to about 5′ from the line. I have yet to turn on the shock function as the vibrating scares her enough from field training. I use the vibrate then shock on her e-collar so she already knows what happens after a collar vibrates. Lastly, I did get the petsafe surge protector designed for in-ground fence systems. I would rather not have to go through the hassle of frying the controller and going through the trouble of making a warranty claim.
- Fantastic product! My stubborn BEAGLES learned & respected the boundaries very quickly! Recommend for anyone.
- Very effective and heavy duty. This works very well for our two Rottweilers! We have a pond and love that it is waterproof.
You can purchase this product and any accessories by clicking on the text link below. You will be taken to the Amazon ordering page where you can place the order.